Boathouse 4 was constructed in 1939 as part of the WWII re-armament programme. Located within the Historic Dockyard in Portsmouth, Boathouse 4 has two sea water channel inlets and is a steel framed, largely column free space, with deep roof trusses forming a distinctive saw tooth roof and supporting two gantry cranes. The cranes were used to haul launch craft out of the inlet channels and onto the internal dockside for speedy repairs. With Heritage Lottery Funding and working to designs by Walter and Cohen Architects the building has been converted into a living museum for small naval craft, the refurbishment included wrap around mezzanine floors creating viewing galleries as well classrooms, exhibition spaces and a communal café. The museum still takes in small craft for the navy and private commissions and these craft are repaired in the building in conjunction with students of boat-building from a local college. Opened by HRH Princess Anne in May 2018.
Winner of an RIBA Regional Award 2018.