St Pancras Churchyard

Architect:
Studio Weave
Completed:
2012
Categories:
Arts + Leisure, New Build, A Little Different, London
Photography:
Collection of Jane Wernick Associates

A rather neglected garden marked the site of St.Pancras Church, a late 11th Century church that was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666 and never rebuilt. Now a Scheduled Ancient Monument, only the foundations remained. Stone paving and carved wood arranged in a herringbone pattern weave around the existing trees, with carved wood elements rising to become seats. The project included a collaboration with the historic carvers at the City & Guilds Arts School.