Show Menu

Hay Castle

Hay Castle is a scheduled ancient monument, originally constructed in the early 11th century as part of the Norman invasion of Wales. It was attacked and burnt on numerous occasions in the mediaeval era, before construction in the 1700s of a Jacobean mansion adjacent to the remaining Norman keep and portcullis. Two major fires in the 20th century gutted the mansion; the east section was left derelict, whilst the west mansion was reconstructed in the late 1970s. It was last occupied by Richard Booth, who used it as a book store.

The project has delivered a new visitor and education centre whilst also making facilities available to the local community, so the castle becomes a focal point within the town and a major new attraction within the county of Powys.

The proposals involve a complete overhaul of the existing west wing and reconstructing the east wing, re-using and preserving the existing historic fabric to provide new facilities including exhibition and teaching spaces, a circulation core with lift access to the upper levels and improved ancillary accommodation. A new viewing platform has been constructed within the Norman keep. Parts of the buildings and structures were in an advanced state of disrepair and a detailed structural condition survey was carried out in conjunction with timber and stone specialists, which fed into a schedule of repairs that could be used by the contractor to price and carry out the works.

Further project details are included in this feature by RIBA Journal.

MIC HC 001
MIC HC 020
MIC HC 022
MIC HC 024
MIC HC 041
MIC HC 037
IMG 0994
IMG 1165
Location
Hay-on-Wye, Powys, UK
Architect(s)
MICA Architects
Photographer(s)
Andy Stagg, Chris Stobbart, Stephen Haskins
Awards
Civic Trust Award, Winner , RSAW - Regional Award, Winner, RSAW - Conservation Award, Winner, RSAW - Building of the Year, Winner