Show Menu

Fratton Park

Since the club became fan-owned in 2014, engineersHRW have played an integral part in securing the future of the historic Fratton Park stadium, working in conjunction with Portsmouth F.C. (PFC), PMC Construction, the Sports Ground Safety Authority (SGSA) and local building control.

The South Stand was erected in 10 weeks in the summer of 1925 to designs by Archibald Leitch, and the North Stand in 1936 (for £10,000, accrued by selling Jimmy Allen to Aston Villa). Both structures are predominately steel framed, with solid timbers spanning between the frames to provide seat supports and walkways. The stands had been neglected and inappropriately altered over the decades and only visible defects attended to. In 2017, PFC commissioned engineersHRW to carry out a full assessment, in accordance with SGSA requirements and IStructE guidance on appraisal of existing structures. Full analysis of the frames and significant areas of opening up and investigations resulted in a programme of remedial works that were desperately needed to maintain structural function.

Following on from that and with the support of the current owners Tornante Co., engineersHRW are now working on improvements that include new terracing, new seating throughout, a new TV gantry in the South Stand, redevelopement of Milton End and new disabled persons' access and viewing platforms, representing an investment of over £10m.

Marcin Jedrysiak crop
DSC02560
IMG 5184
IMG 7909
fratton
now 3rd Aug 22
Location
Portsmouth, UK
Architect(s)
Arena, HGP Architects
Photographer(s)
engineersHRW, Marcin Jedrysiak